It’s official, Crystal Dunn is coming home to her chickens! The Portland Thorns acquired Dunn from the OL Reign in exchange for allocation money, an international roster spot for the 2021 season, and a first-round pick in the 2022 NWSL College Draft. The North Carolina Courage acquired OL Reign goalkeeper Casey Murphy.
It’s a Dunn deal.— Portland Thorns FC (@ThornsFC) October 22, 2020
Welcome to the Rose City, @crysdunn_19!
DETAILS: https://t.co/29VHFNlP2W | #BAONPDX pic.twitter.com/qNOJvqYTPu
The 2014 first overall draft pick played three seasons in the NWSL with the Washington Spirit (2014-16) and North Carolina Courage (2018-2020). Dunn spent the 2017 season with Chelsea in the FA Women’s Super League.
“Crystal has been an integral part of the Courage success story,” said NC Courage head coach Paul Riley. “Her professionalism and performances at our club have been nothing short of fabulous. Sometimes a player’s personal needs take precedent and we wish her a successful future with her new club.”
The trade came at Dunn’s request. “Crystal’s agent was adamant that it was her priority to join her husband at their home in Portland—there was simply no viable alternative for Crystal other than a move to Portland,” said OL Reign CEO Bill Predmore.
Portland and North Carolina couldn’t get a deal done, so OL Reign stepped in to help facilitate. “We decided to play a role in facilitating what we viewed as an inevitable outcome. Through that process we acquired assets that we are confident will help us significantly strengthen our squad in 2021 and beyond,” Predmore said.
Three things #CourageCountry should know about @CaseyMurph— NC Courage (@TheNCCourage) October 22, 2020
1. Drafted 13th in the 2018 NWSL Draft.
2. Named the 2018 Goalkeeper of the Year in Division 1 Feminine in France.
3. Her NWSL career-high 11 saves came in the 2019 NWSL Semifinal against the Courage#NoFinishLine pic.twitter.com/gxpSFvPQxc
To seal the deal, the Reign sent young goalkeeper Casey Murphy and $140,000 in allocation money to the North Carolina Courage. Murphy was drafted in 13th overall by Sky Blue FC, but opted to spend her first professional season in France. She joined the Reign in May 2019. The New Jersey native recorded six clean sheets, and 79 saves in her 20 starts.
“Casey is a young, super talented goalkeeper,” said Riley. “She has a ton of fantastic qualities and as she garners experience, we thoroughly expect her to be banging on the USWNT door. She comes to a team with a consistent, dynamic lineup and that will help her settle and grow into a bonified exceptional professional goalkeeper.”
Deal in Review
- NC Courage trade Crystal Dunn to OL Reign in exchange for Casey Murphy and allocation money for Crystal Dunn - $65,000 in 2021, $75,000 in 2022
- OL Reign send Dunn to Portland Thorns for exchange for allocation money, an international roster spot for the 2021 season, and Portland’s 2022 first-round pick
- OL Reign received $150,000 in allocation money upon trade, $50,000 on January 1, 2021 and an additional $50,000 contingent upon Dunn’s future playing status ($250,000 total)